Create a dedicated steam room
A steam room at home has to be one of the greatest luxuries. Relax in your own personal home spa, surrounded by the senses of soft heat, relaxing light therapy and the enriching aromas of summer roses or winter fruits.
Building a steam room at home has never been so easy. Buy a ready-to-tile room from Helo, build and tile your own room, or use Helo's bespoke design and build service for a complete package.
Buy a ready-to-tile steam room
Helo has been building bespoke steam rooms for many years, both for the commercial market and for private homes. Now we are pleased to announce the launch of our very first off-the-shelf tiled steam room!
In partnership with the German company, Lux Elements GmbH, Helo has developed a range of complete steam rooms ready-to-tile:
- Available in 6 standard sizes
- Supplied as a complete kit
- Ready-to-tile in your choice of finishes *
- Featuring Helo's industry leading T-series steam generator
- Available with optional fibre optic mood-lighting and automatic essence dosing
- Fast and easy assembly
* Due to the curved nature of these rooms, please use mosaic tiles
Comes complete with:
- Walls, ceiling, benches and floor with waste gulley
- Helo steam door, steam generator, thermostatic control and two lights included
- All specialist fixings included
Build your own steam room
Plan the steam room layout:
- Seating - allow enough room for however many people will be using the room - leave room to lie down if you have enough space.
- Door - you can use a well-sealed shower door, or a Helo steam door – please see steam accessories.
- Steam outlet - the steam delivery pipe terminates with a 22mm male connection into a specially designed steam outlet (included with Helo steam generator) - when considering the outlet location, bear in mind that the steam coming from the outlet will be hot and therefore it is best to keep it away from bathers' feet.
- Lights - you will need IP-rated low voltage or LED lights for the steam room - you may also wish to have two different levels of light, bright for cleaning, soft for bathing, or even colour light therapy.
- Ventilation - there is no need for special ventilation in the steam room, however the area outside the steam room will need extraction as steam will escape from the door when you open it.
- Steam generator - the generator needs to be located in a dry and accessible area ideally within 5m of the steam room, for example in a cupboard, loft or garage - the area needs water supply and suitable electrical supply and you should be able to run a copper pipe to the steam outlet and control cables to the steam room for the thermostatic control.
Plan the construction:
- Floor - as with a shower, the floor needs to be waterproof, especially where it joins the walls, and should fall to a waste gulley so the water can drain away.
- Walls - can be constructed in blocks or studwork or any other stable structure, then lined with tile-backer board ready for final finishes.
- Benches - buy these from Helo or construct in the same way as the walls and line with tile-backer board before finishing.
- Ceiling - construct in the same way as the walls - it is best to have a gradient so condensation can run away, so either have a central pitch, slope one way or even domed, barrelled or rolled.
Plan the finishes, shower & accessories:
- Tiles - this is the most usual way to finish the inside of a steam room - almost any type of tile will do as long as the surface of the tile is non-porous.
- Grout & Adhesive - there is no need to use special materials, anything that would be suitable for a shower will do.
- Shower - you may wish to install a shower either in the steam room itself or nearby to use after bathing.
- Accessories - why not add colour light therapy, a stereo system or an automatic essence dosing system to your beautiful new steam room?
Helo bespoke design & build service
In recent years the market for sauna and steam at home has evolved and Helo has evolved with it. Many of our clients now come to us with a specific design or technical requirement that is not available off-the-shelf. Our home solutions team is here to help realise your vision.
The Helo home solutions service includes Design, Technical, Architectural, CAD Drawing, Manufacture, Project Management & Specialist Installation.
Call us now on 0800-0234590 to discuss your brief and turn your dreams into reality.